Built around 1915 in south Atlanta, Lakewood Speedway was known as the Indianapolis of the South”. Every form of racing came there, including stock cars, Indy cars, midgets, motorcycles, even boats on the infield lake.
The final races at the track were run in 1979. Most of the track is now gone. Here’s a look at Lakewood in it’s best days:
Here’s a look at how the old girl looks today, courtesy of Google:
Very little of the track actually remains. The grandstands still stand, and the distintive cut of turn one can be seen. A entrance to an amphitheater covers turn four. Turn two is completely gone, covered over with dirt to provide and entrance from Lakewood Avenue. The backstretch and frontstrech were both paved for access roads. Here’s a few more looks from a visit in May of 2009 (photos by Brandon Reed):
Questions, comments, suggestions? Email us!
This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Georgia Racing Hall of Fame or the Georgia Auto Racing Hall of Fame Association, Inc. All content is the intellectual property of the individual authors. All opinions are those of the individual authors. Please do not repost images or text without permission.